If you are concerned about school or childcare, please read the following information:
- Schools opened on a full-time basis across Scotland on 11 August. Contingency plans are in place for a ‘blended learning’ model if there is a resurgence in COVID-19 before this date. This would involve a combination of classroom teaching combined with continued home-schooling.
- The Scottish Government have decided that all secondary school pupils are now required to wear face masks when moving around the school estate, and all pupils above the age of five are required to wear a face mask when using school transport. If your child’s school is in a region with restrictions at Level 3 or Level 4, they will also be required to wear a face mask in classrooms if they are in S4 or above.
- If your child receives free school meals during term time then they will still receive this provision during the upcoming Christmas, February and Easter school holidays. Details of this provision will be decided by local authorities and may consist of either payments made directly to your bank account, food vouchers, or food parcels. Further enquiries are best directed towards your local council in the first instance. You can find their contact details at https://www.mygov.scot/find-your-local-council/.
- Childcare settings should remain open across Scotland regardless of any other restrictions in place in your locality. If you live in an area that is currently in ‘Level 3’ and your child is in a high-risk medical category, you should discuss with your GP whether your child should continue to attend their usual childcare setting. If you live in an area currently in ‘Level 4’, children in a high-risk category are advised not to attend their childcare setting as normal. Further information is available at https://www.parentclub.scot/.
- If you are concerned about what to do if your child displays symptoms of COVID-19, or when you should book a test, further information is available at https://www.gov.scot/publications/common-cold-and-covid-19-symptoms-advice-for-parents-and-carers/.
- Advice for parents and carers on managing the impact of COVID-19 on their child’s learning and family life is available at https://www.parentclub.scot/topics/health/coronavirus.
- Questions on schooling and childcare are best directed to your local council in the first instance. You can find their contact details at https://www.mygov.scot/find-your-local-council/.
Parents are advised not to rely on those who are advised to be in the stringent social distancing category (such as grandparents or family members with underlying conditions) for childcare. You can check who is in the at-risk category here: https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/infections-and-poisoning/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-covid-19-social-distancing